There’s no doubt that boxing is a challenging and demanding sport. From the workouts to the actual matches, boxers need to be in the top physical condition and have well-honed skills. One important piece of boxing equipment is boxing headgear.
A quick look at the best boxing headgear
- Best Kids: RDX F1 Kids Boxing Headgear
- Best Noseguard: Winning Boxing Headgear Full Face
- Best Runner up: Winning Boxing Headgear Open Face
- Best Cheek Protection: Ringside Cleto Reyes Training Headgear
How we chose
- Quality. We included items produced by reputable manufacturers that adhere to good manufacturing processes.
- Vetting. We take product selection seriously. We only want to recommend the highest quality products, which is why we carefully vet every potential supplier.
- Price. We try to provide options for everyones budget preferences.
Best Boxing and Martial Arts Headgear
Here is my list of the 7 best boxing heading gear from this year.
Adidas Boxing Headgear
Adidas boxing headgear is made from high-quality foam and leather, with a Hi-Tech Japanese AMARA artificial leather lining. It has a back strap closing for a firm fit, and a double strap top closing. The chin strap is adjustable, and the headgear is AIBA approved and CE Approved.
This headgear provides excellent protection for your head and face and is essential for any serious boxer. With its superior construction and design, Adidas boxing headgear is the ideal choice for anyone looking for the best possible protection while boxing.
- Hi-Tech Japanese AMARA artificial leather lining
- Backstrap closing for a firm fit
- Double strap top closing
- Adjustable chin strap closing
- AIBA approved, CE Approved
RDX F1 Kids Boxing Headgear
The RDX F1 Kids Boxing Headgear is a top choice for young athletes who participate in boxing, MMA, Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, and other similar sports. The Maya hide leather construction is durable and will not split after extended use. The headgear is also CE certified and SATRA approved with tri-layers of foam padding for cushioning.
The jumbo loan-absorbent padding along with an open design of the headgear ensures that the ventilation is maximized and sweat is kept away during training. The customized chin strap offers improvement in the adjustability of the headgear without hindering the field of vision.
- Maya hide leather
- CE certified and SATRA approved
- Jumbolon-absorbent padding
- Customized chin strap
- Easy hook-and-loop closure
Best Nose Guard
Winning Boxing Headgear Full Face
The Winning Boxing Headgear Full Face is a top-quality product that is approved by USA Boxing. It is also 33% lighter than the old model, making it more comfortable to wear for extended periods. The headgear is made from synthetic leather, which is durable and easy to clean.
It is available in two sizes, medium and large, and both sizes are suitable for most adults. The headgear provides excellent protection for the head and face, and it is an essential piece of equipment for any boxer.
- USA Boxing Approved
- 15oz weight
- Don't recommend for Muay Thai
- Easy to clean sweat off
Best Runner up
Winning Boxing Headgear Open Face
The Winning Boxing Headgear is the best option for those looking for quality and safe headgear. It is made of artificial leather which is not as hot as real leather, and it also does not contain gel. The headgear is very light, weighing only 9.5 ounces, and it is available in two sizes: medium and large.
The medium size headgear fits 21-23 inches, while the large size headgear fits 22.5-24.5 inches. The headgear is also adjustable to ensure a snug and comfortable fit. It is also important to note that this headgear is made in Japan and has a lifetime warranty. This makes it an ideal choice for those who are looking for a long-lasting piece of equipment.
- Medium(Japanese Size): 21.0-23.0inch / 54-59cm
- Large(Japanese Size): 22.5-24.5 inch / 57-62cm
- very light headgear 9.5oz
- Made in Japan
Best Cheek Protection
Ringside Cleto Reyes Classic Training Headgear
The Reyes classic-style boxing headgear is traditionally crafted in Mexico. It is made with cowhide and latex foam padding, which provides superior absorption capabilities. The Hook and loop rear closure ensures a secure and comfortable fit. The chin strap and lace crown area adjustment also allows for a customized fit.
The wide-angle vision provided by the headgear is a bonus. Decent protection for the forehead, temples and cheek.
- Manufactured with cowhide and latex foam padding
- Hook and loop rear closure
- Chinstrap and lace crown area adjustment
- Allows a wide-angle vision
Venum Elite Headgear
The Venum Elite headgear is made with 100% Skintex leather, making it both durable and able to take high impact. It is designed in Thailand to offer full protection of the head’s most sensitive areas while still allowing for better head movement and visibility of the opponent.
The triple-density foam provides ultimate shock absorption, while the adjustable strap ensures a secure and comfortable fit. Whether you’re just starting out or are a seasoned pro, the Venum Elite headgear is a great choice for anyone looking for quality head protection.
- 100% semi leather construction for great durability and high fighting performances
- Open-Top with mesh for air
- Large rear velcro enclosure
- 180-degree site
Ringside Boxing Headgear with Cheeks
The Ringside Boxing Headgear with Cheeks is a high-quality piece of equipment that is essential for any serious boxer, MMA fighter, or Muay Thai practitioner. The headgear is made of durable leather construction, with a top-quality laminated foam system that disperses impact. The sleek contoured design and curved cheek protections provide superior protection for the head and face.
The headgear is also rated highly for its dexterity and performance. This makes it the perfect choice for athletes who want to practice their boxing or fighting skills in a safe environment. Whether you are setting up a home gym or outfitting a commercial facility, the Ringside Boxing Headgear with Cheeks is the ideal choice for protecting your athletes.
Contoured design, made of genuine leather, top-rated headgear.
Frequently asked questions
Types of headgear
- Boxing (Competition/Sparring)
- Muay Thai / Kickboxing
- Open Face
- Cheek Protection
- Nose Guard / Full Face headgear
Pros & Cons of Headgear
USA Boxing Approved Brands
USA Boxing is a national organization that helps promote amateur boxing. They work with the US Olympic Committee to help coordinate tournaments and ranking for fighters of all ages and weight classes.
- Cleto Reyes
- Combat Brands
- Boxing Black Belt
Why do boxers wear headgear?
- Protection – the head is one of the most vulnerable parts of the body when boxing. Headgear can help protect against cuts, bruises, and even concussions.
- Aerodynamics – boxing headgear can help reduce wind resistance and help you move more quickly in the ring.
- Thermoregulation – boxing headgear can help keep your head cool and comfortable, even under the most strenuous conditions.
What factors should be considered while buying headgear?
- Fit – the headgear should fit snugly so that it doesn’t move around when you’re boxing.
- Comfort – the headgear should be comfortable to wear, with padding that protects your head without being too bulky or heavy.
- Color – you may want to choose a headgear color that stands out and makes you easily visible in the ring.
- Price – boxing headgear can range in price from $20 to $200 or more.
Is boxing headgear worse for you?
There is some debate about this, but most experts agree that boxing headgear does offer some protection against concussions. However, it’s important to remember that headgear is not a substitute for boxing safety gear, such as mouthguards, boxing gloves, and headgear.
Should you wear headgear during sparring sessions?
This is a personal decision that you and your boxing coach should make together. Some coaches prefer their boxers to wear headgear during all sparring sessions, while others only have their boxers wear headgear during more intense sparring sessions.
Why don’t professional boxers wear headgear?
Most professional boxers choose not to wear boxing headgear because it can be bulky and heavy, and it can interfere with their vision and aerodynamics. Additionally, professional boxers are usually more experienced and may be less likely to suffer from head injuries.
How do I clean my headgear?
Your boxing headgear should be cleaned after every use. The best way to clean it is by using a mild detergent and warm water. Be sure to rinse the headgear thoroughly and allow it to air dry. Do not place the headgear in the dryer, as this could damage the materials.
Headgear is an important piece of boxing safety gear, and it’s important to choose the right type for your needs. Be sure to consider the fit, comfort, color, and price of the headgear before making a purchase. And always consult with your boxing coach to make sure you’re wearing the headgear correctly and using it in the safest way possible.